William Hill organ
The 3-manual organ in St Augustine’s was built by William Hill in 1895 and is one of the best of its type in the country. It was renovated about 10 years ago and is in fine condition. Over the years we have welcomed many internationally acclaimed soloists to give recitals on it. The organist and choirmaster is Robert Court – a professional musician, and associate lecturer in music and organist at Cardiff University.
William Hill (1789 – 1870)
William Hill was born in Spilsby, Lincolnshire in 1789. On 30th October 1818 he married Mary, the daughter of organ builder Thomas Elliot and worked for Thomas until 1825. He inherited the firm (Elliott & Hill) on Thomas’s death in 1832. William travelled on the continent to gain new ideas about organ building.
Thomas Hill, William and Mary’s younger son, joined the business in 1855 and took over the business (Hill & Son) when William died in 1870. Thomas died in 1893 and the firm continued under his nephew, Arthur George Hill, until 1916 when Hill and Son was amalgamated with Norman & Beard to become Hill, Norman & Beard.