Summary of Project
The lettering on the Roll of Honour was deteriorating.
The Friends of St Augustine’s first project was to have the Roll conserved for the anniversary of the outbreak of the Great War in 1914. This was made possible by grants from the Heritage Lottery Fund and the War Memorials Trust and with the support of the Rector and the Parochial Church Council.
The Friends are also finding out more about the men on the Roll, their families and their lives so they become more than just names. The roles these men played in their families and in the community as a whole can be honoured more fully as we find out more about the ‘Sons of Penarth’.
The Roll of Honour was re-dedicated by Archbishop Barry Morgan during a service on 3rd August 2014.
A book has now been produced tracing the history of the Roll of Honour. Copies are available to buy, price £5.00. The leather bound and tooled presentation copy will be dedicated during the 10.30am service on 17th July 2016 and will then be on display in the church in a specially made display case. There is also a leather bound facsimile copy.
Another book, “Sons of Penarth”, is planned for 2020/21 giving details of the lives of the men on the Roll of Honour who died in, or as a result of, the Great War.